Time: Wednesday 18th May 2022, 12.00–13.30 (EST), 09.00–10.30 (PST), 17.00-18.30 (UK)
Webinar from DeMarco Law, PLLC and Kemp IT Law
In their 2021 Annual Privacy Governance Report, IAPP and EY found that international data transfer (“IDT”) compliance was, by a wide margin, privacy professionals’ biggest concern, with 60% of respondents naming it their top issue.
In this webinar, IDT legal experts from the US and the UK will:
- explore how we got to where we are today and why things are in such a state of flux;
- review directions of travel:
- in the US: other US States are following California in adopting CCPA-like data privacy laws
- in the UK: the Government is eyeing up what a more liberal data regime could do for a post-Brexit economy
- in the EU: Brussels is positive about a new Privacy Shield but some EU capitals are taking Schrems II as a cue for a harder line
- around the world: 70% of countries have now passed data protection laws or have them in draft;
- offer practical tips on:
- navigating risks and avoiding pitfalls
- building a bridge towards business-like, robust IDT compliance
against a backdrop where the best can be the enemy of the good and complete compliance a mirage.
Register for the webinar here.
|12.00- 12.10||09.00-09.10||17.00-17.10||Welcome and Introduction – Richard Kemp, Partner Kemp IT Law, London
· what’s the problem with IDTs and why is it all so challenging?
|12.10- 12.40||09.10-09.40||17.10-17.40||The View from the UK and EU – Deirdre Moynihan, Partner, Kemp IT Law, London
· where are we, how did we get here and where are we going?
· IDT mechanisms in the UK and EU under GDPR
· special issues for IDTs from the UK to the US
· from the UK, what does good look like and how do we build a bridge to get there?
|12.40- 13.10||09.40-10.10||17.40-18.10||The View from the US – Joseph DeMarco, Partner, DeMarco Law, PLLC, New York
· thoughts from New York
o counselling US clients on IDTs across the pond
o counselling UK / EU clients on IDTs across the pond,
· what do the CCPA and other States’ laws mean for IDTs, now and in the future?
· the cost of getting it wrong under US law
· from the US, what does good look like and how do we build a bridge to get there?
Register for the webinar here. There will be no charge for this event.
DeMarco Law, PLLC is one of the USA’s leading specialist information privacy and security law firms. After practising litigation at Cravath, Swain & Moore, Joseph DeMarco served from 1997 to 2007 as Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of New York where he founded and headed the cybercrime investigations and prosecutions team. Returning to private practice, Joseph DeMarco’s firm focuses on counselling clients on complex issues involving data privacy, information security, IP theft, computer intrusions, on-line fraud and the lawful use of new technology.
Top UK tech law firm Kemp IT Law is recognised by the Global Data Review as one of the world’s top 100 data law firms. Deirdre Moynihan, partner at Kemp IT Law and IAPP Certified Information Privacy Manager and Professional, is lauded by clients for her “experience and thoughtful advice on all things data” and in navigating the troubled waters of IDTs.
Together, DeMarco Law, PLLC and Kemp IT Law bring a wealth of practical experience, insight and guidance to IDTs between the US, the UK and the EU. Join our session to understand what privacy and legal teams need to know to successfully bridge the IDT gap.